How do you tell if you're allergic to metal earrings?!

Question: How do you tell if you're allergic to metal earrings!?
I have gold ones in, I just got them pierced (lobes) about a week ago!. My skin is sensitive to some eyeshaddows and perfumes, and also aloe irritates my skin!. Only some parts of my skin are allergic to these things, though, and I want to go earring shopping SO BAD!. I don't know, though, if I may be allergic to some earrings (something to do with the nickel plating or something)!.

Bottom line, since I have to keep them in for 6 weeks, what would be the best way to test if my lobes would be allergic to metal earrings without having to take them out!? Is it possible, or do I have to wait!?

Also, my mom is allergic to earrings but she's not my birth mom!. I don't know if she's allergic, but my grandma isn't!.!.!.Can it travel through the gene pool!?Www@Answer-Health@Com

The best way to test if your lobes would be allergic would be to put on a metal necklace or ring!. If your neck or fingers develop a rash or become itchy then the same thing is very likely to happen with your ears!. And to answer your second question, allergies can in fact travel through the gene pool just like any other gene!.
I hope I helped!Www@Answer-Health@Com

If your lobes keep bleeding your allergic!. If you are allergic, usually wearing a certain type of gold will prevent bleeding!.Www@Answer-Health@Com

Well, you're best bet is to wait the 6 weeks till your ears get used to the earrings and create the holes in them!. Then, you can buy a pair of earrings for a test (ensure them to be NON-sensitives, meaning they won't say sensitive solutions on them or nickel-free) put them in for about a day, of if you are worried, I would suggest leaving them in for maybe like 8 hours so you can see the effect!. If the earring is hard to take out, your earring or ear is greenish, or anything else is abnormal, take the earrings out immediately and clean your ears really good!. then put in the earrings you first got cause you know it won't irritant you!. Its ok if now it hurts to put the earring in!. Just kinda force it and it should go!. Try and avoid taking out the earrings till its healed so that the holes won't close up!. If you are itching to go shopping for earrings, you can go out and buy a whole bunch of sensitive solution earrings and nickel-free earrings!. If it says nothing on it (no nickel-free or sensitive solution writing on it) then chances are it's full of nickel!. Nickel is generally what irritants your skin!. Not so sure bout the gene stuff though, but I would guess possibly, yes!. Hope this helped and good luck with your new earrings, you gonna luv em!!!Www@Answer-Health@Com

I can't answer about the hereditary nature of allergies as I am not a doctor or allergist, however, I have a ton of allergies including allergies to certain metals!. I'm fine with gold and silver and stainless steel, but anything else, not a chance!. I found out the hard way when I was younger and I had gotten my ears pierced at Claires!. They had a deal to get however many earrings on sale for getting my ears pierced so when my earrings were ready to be switched out for new ones, I immediately went to the store and picked out 6 or so pairs (it was a long time ago so I can't remember exactly) of the cutest ones and bought them using my savings/coupon!. Anyhow, I got home and put them in my jewelry box and then the next morning for school, I put in a pair that matched my shirt and I went to school!. My ears were itchy later that day and they really were sort of burning!. I thought maybe I had gotten shampoo or something on my ears and that was the cause so I tried wetting a paper towel in the girls room to see if that helped and my ears were bright red!. It was the end of the day so I waited until I got home to deal with my ears and I showed my mom!. We took the earrings out carefully and my ears had swollen in the shape of the earrings (they were cut in a certain design and my ears were swollen where the metal touched me) and my piercing hole was swollen!. It was horrible!. I left the earrings out for a couple days and tried again with an expensive gold pair and they were fine!. The same with an expensive silver pair!. I even tried a pair with stainless steel posts and they were fine!. I guess the only way to know is the try them and see!. I'd have some Benadryl ready just in case!. I took a couple of those at the time and they really helped!. Also, as a sidenote, I saw a woman on a news show once talking about how her son ate something he didn't know he was allergic to and she gave him a double dose of Benadryl and it saved his life while they got him to the hospital!. However, some people actually have allergic reactions to Benadryl so don't take it if you're unsure!. Schedule an appointment with a dermatologist!. I did years ago and I was allergic to so many things it's crazy (varies trees and grasses -too many to remember, cats, dogs, cigarette smoke, mold, pollen, dust, almonds, peanuts, wheat, and corn, but luckily I have no life threatening allergies)!. Www@Answer-Health@Com

The consumer health information on is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions.
The answer content post by the user, if contains the copyright content please contact us, we will immediately remove it.
Copyright © 2007-2011 -   Terms of Use -   Contact us

Health Categories